What is the capital of Cameroon? It is the capital that belongs to a country known as Africa in miniature, and this name may be due to the cultural and biological diversity of Cameroon. Through the contents of the site, we will learn about Cameroon and its capital, in addition to much important information about this African country that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean.
What is the capital of Cameroon?
The capital of Cameroon is Yaounde, which is the second largest in the country in terms of area, with an area of about 180 square kilometers, which is equivalent to about 70 square miles. Yaounde is also located in the center of the state of Cameroon, which is located specifically in the central region of the western side of the continent of Africa. While Yaounde is located on a mountainous plateau in Cameroon, it is dotted with forests, and two rivers pass through it, the Nyong River and the Sanaga River.
Through our topic, what is the capital of Cameroon, and it is, as we mentioned above, the city of Yaounde, we must get to know the state of Cameroon, including, for example:
- The location of Cameroon on the map and according to GPS coordinates is at 7°N and 12°E.
- The state of Cameroon, which is located in Africa, is bordered by Chad to the northeast, while Nigeria is bordered to the west. While Cameroon is bordered to the east by the Central African Republic, while to the south it is bordered by Equatorial Guinea, the State of Gabon, and also the Republic of the Congo.
- The area of Cameroon is about 475,442 square kilometers.
- The highest point in Cameroon is the active volcanic Mount Cameron, known locally as Fako, near the Gulf of Guinea. Especially since it is considered one of the most important and terrifying tourist sites in the country, where the volcano erupts all the time.
- The lowest point in Cameroon is the Gulf of Biafra.
- The population of the State of Cameroon is about 240,53727 people, according to a population census dating back to 2017.
- The religion of Cameroon is diverse, as there are Christians, who make up about 40% of the total population. There is also a percentage of Muslims, who amount to about 20% of the total population. Moreover, about 40% of the total population profess local beliefs.
- The language of Cameroon is French, which ranks first, followed by English. In addition, the people of Cameroon speak some local languages such as Swahili, Bantu, and others.
- The tropical forests are one of the most famous tourist sites in the country of Cameroon, where it has a charming nature, in the shade of the amazing vegetation.
A Brief History of Yaounde
In the same context, what is the capital of Cameroon, which is, as we mentioned above, the city of Yaounde? In fact, the discovery of the city of Yaounde dates back to the German merchants, in 1888 AD, as it was in the past the main headquarters of the Belgian forces, as it was a station for agricultural research, specifically during the First World War. After the German defeat in the war was announced, the entire state of Cameroon was seized by the French, and the state of Yaounde was named the capital of French Cameroon. It is noteworthy that Yaounde has been called the capital of Cameroon to this day.
Information about Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon
Through our topic, what is the capital of Cameroon, which is, as we mentioned above, the city of Yaounde, we must find out some important information about this city. Including, for example:
- Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, was founded in 1888 AD, after Cameroon was a colony of the German Empire in full, from 1884 AD until 1916 AD.
- The city of Yaounde, which is the capital of Cameroon, covers an area of about 180 square kilometers.
- The capital of Cameroon, Yaounde, is 764 meters above sea level.
- The population of Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, is about 244,462 people, while the population density is about 13558 people per square kilometer.
- Yaounde is located in the center of Cameroon. According to GPS coordinates, the capital of Cameroon, Yaounde, is located at 3° 51′28″N and 11°31′05″E.
- In Yaounde there are all the embassies in Cameroon, which are located specifically in the Bastos region.
- Yaounde has a large number of mosques, but the largest and most famous is the King Fahd Mosque, which is located in the center of Yaounde.
- There are many schools in Yaounde, especially since most of them teach the students the curriculum in French.
- In Yaounde, many famous people were known in the field of sports, especially in the game of football at the level of Cameroon. They include, for example: Albert Roger Milla, Michel Bencé, Nicolas Nicolo, Théophile Abiga, Achille Emana, Elie Onana, Samuel Umtiti and Louis-Paul Mvede.
- He is best known from Yaoundé, the wife of former Cameroonian President Paul Biya, Jenny Irene Biya, as well as scholar and anthropologist Severin Cécile Abiga.
- Yaounde Nesliman International Airport, located in the south of the capital of Cameroon, Yaounde, is one of the most important airports in the country, serving domestic and even foreign flights.
- The main industries in Yaounde are Cameroonian cigars, as well as glass, and food products such as dairy. Not to mention its fame in the production of cocoa, coffee, and sugar cane.
Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, has many tourist sites, which are among the most famous tourist attractions on the African continent. We review some of the tourist attractions in Yaounde as follows:
- Many world-famous hotels have been held in Yaounde, perhaps the most important of which is the Hilton Hotel, and there is also the Mount Phoebe Hotel.
- There are many tourist sites in Cameroon, which are interesting places to visit in the capital of Cameroon, and perhaps the most famous of them are museums, where the Cameroon Museum of Art is famous in Yaounde, as well as the National Museum of Cameroon, which is located in the old presidential palace.
- The Palais des Congrès in Yaounde is one of the most important tourist attractions in Cameroon.
- The ancient and ancient houses in the Bastos region of Cameroon are still famous as the most important tourist attractions in Yaounde. Especially since it belongs to the first European immigrants to Africa.
- The Benedictine monastery is a prominent landmark in Yaounde, especially since it is home to the Cameroon Art Museum.
- Notre Dame de Victoire cathedral is one of the most important Christian religious tourist sites in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon.
- The caves scattered in Yaounde are among the natural attractions full of adventure and exploration, which are known locally as the Nachtigal Caves.
Finally, in this article we got to know what is the capital of Cameroon, it is certainly the African city of Yaounde. In fact, Yaounde is a city that is very similar to the city of Rome, in terms of construction, as it was also built on mountain hills, interspersed with green areas from all directions.